Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 21 06:01:25 UTC 2012

On 12/21/2012 06:16 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-12-21 at 06:09 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> libexec doesn't exist in any published version of the FHS,
>>
>> FHS != GCS
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables
>>
>> IIRC, it's around there for at approx 20 years.
>
> I've never seen any distro take any notice of this standard whatsoever.

Bummer ... you have been living in a vacuum for the last 20 years and
have never been coding any "a little more complex package" ?

RPM respects the GCS ever since RPM exists, autoconf honors it ever
since autoconf and the GCS exists and all major GNU and many more
projects honor it.

Some even make heavy active use of it (Most prominently: GCC).

> This is in fact the first reference I've seen to it in any context.
... <Sigh/>

Ralf