Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Dec 21 13:24:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 21.12.12 05:38, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:

> On 12/21/2012 12:27 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:30:37PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks, but I think the bit I'm mising is why can't systemd use
> >>libexec?  (Apart from their declaration that libexec is wrong or not
> >>the de-facto standard they themselves made up, which is not a reason).
> >
> >Because libexec doesn't exist on most other distributions,
> libexecdir is part of the GNU standards for ages.

The "GNU standard" is kinda flawed and nobody uses that as 1:1. I mean,
/usr/etc? /usr/var?? /us/com???

It's probably more interesting in looking at the more realistic
"standards", such as FHS, and on what is actually really implemented,
rather than on GNU which is really mostly theory... I mean, not even
Debian as the distro closest to GNU follows much of that...

> I disagree. systemd simply hasn't taken libexecdir into account in
> its design and now is trying to propagate their oversight/mistake as
> "standard" instead of making their works compliant with _our_
> distro's demands.

No, we just look around, and try to do something that is not specific to
a distro, somewhat sane and follows the schemes of the established to
the level where they make sense.

I mean, we really wanted to avoid that unit files end up in different
dirs on various distros. No distro but Fedora uses libdexecdir, hence we
didn't put suff in there. And /share doesn't exist in the root dir,
hence all distros which haven't merge /usr can't have the unit files in
/share, hence /lib is the only option.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.