Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Dec 21 13:31:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 21.12.12 07:01, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:

> On 12/21/2012 06:16 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> >>FHS != GCS
> >>
> >>http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables
> >>
> >>IIRC, it's around there for at approx 20 years.
> >
> >I've never seen any distro take any notice of this standard whatsoever.
>
> Bummer ... you have been living in a vacuum for the last 20 years
> and have never been coding any "a little more complex package" ?
>
> RPM respects the GCS ever since RPM exists, autoconf honors it ever
> since autoconf and the GCS exists and all major GNU and many more
> projects honor it.

That's simply not true:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html

GNU suggests sharedstatedir=$(prefix)/com, localstatedir=$(prefix)/var,
sysconfdir=$(prefix)/etc, ... I have never even seen a "com" directory
on my RPM-based Fedora...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.