Pillow, actively developed and (mostly) python3 compatible PIL (python-imaging)

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Dec 23 10:02:57 UTC 2012

Le dimanche 23 décembre 2012 à 03:45 +0100, Sandro Mani a écrit :
> Hello all,

Hi,

>[...]
> So, since Pillow seems to be the most likely candidate for
> python3-imaging, the questions are:
> - Do we want Pillow to succeed PIL in Fedora?
>    * According to [3], it is likely that Pillow will soon become an
> "unfriendly fork" of PIL, so Pillow-PIL compatibility is likely to break
> in the future

That's not exactly how I read it, more like "we plan to not spend time
communicating and opening bugs with the pil project anymore". The
compatibility with the old release could be kept if PIL make no release,
so that's IMHO not a big issue.

>    * But still being compatible at the moment, I'd say it would be
> easier to make the transition now

I would say yes. Having non maintained software, especially since python
3 is coming, is not a wise move.

> - Python2 and 3, or only the python-3 variant?

2 and 3. It will give a wider exposure to the codebase, and will permit
to have less headache in the case of a security issue in PIL/Pillow ( ie
1 package to fix instead of 2 ). Even if we would still have 2 to take
care of during the transition period.

> - Plus some packaging questions for the maintainers (I could co-maintain
> if desired):
>    * Keep the package name?

I would add some Obsolete/Provides, and do a feature so the work of
replacing pil can be coordinated. Especially if import need to be
changed.

>    * Need new review request?

yes, it need a new review request.

--