Policy for stalled reviews?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 08:48:45 UTC 2012

On 12/27/2012 07:35 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 06:55:01 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, we have a policy handling unresponsive submitters or
>> reviewers. However, there is a third case when the complete process is
>> stalled.
>>
>> The situation then becomes problematic if the stalled process handles a
>> package you want that much that you are willing to package it yourself -
>> if you submit it it will (rightfully) be closed as a duplicate.
>>
>> Of course, in this situation you try to talk to the people involved in
>> the review, and it works mostly. But if/when it fails: is there any way
>> to force a stalled review process to close or submit their package given
>> some conditions yet to be defined?
> If the community can afford spending time on multiple review requests for
> multiple packages for the same software, oh well, ... but better not turn
> it into a competition of who will be done faster.

Yes, we definitely shouldn't have competitions, agreed (and that's an intended part of the "conditions yet to be defined" above).

>   Continue talking to the other people,

[snip]

Yes, this is the correct action. But it's hard  to talk to people if
they don't reply  at all or not in a meaningful way. I'm not talking
about reviews making progress, possibly with the help of others. I'm
talking about reviews stalled because both submitter and reviewer seems
to have given up for a long time, ignoring input from others.

--a