pulseaudio maintainership status

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 19:25:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/2012 12:33 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> Steve Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> Then why is no one fixing the identified bugs?
>>

>> Because Lennart insists on backporting only individual fixes to Fedora
>> releases as opposed to rebasing to a new version, and nobody has the time
>> identify and backport the relevant commits.
>>
>> IMHO, we should just upgrade PulseAudio to the latest version in an
>> update.
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler
>>
> I fully agree. The effort it takes too identify fixes is too large. Also,
> upstream will not be as amenable in helping us diagnose bugs when we are so
> behind.

I don't agree. We're moments from release and the 3.0 release hasn't
been out for that long and it's likely that while it might fix the one
bug it could introduce any number of other bugs.

> I know upstream is moving really fast these days, but I thinbk any risk is
> alleviated by Rex's backport - we can safely identify any showstoppers
> within a fedora release cycle.

There's a working backport patch for a platform that isn't really
supported in Fedora and it works on other virtual platforms without
issue. While I would love to see 3.0 in Fedora 18 due to it's support
for UCM which is used extensively in ARM I'm not even pushing it
because I know it could break more than it might well fix.

> 1.1 for F17 is way to far behind IMHO given that upstream is now at 3.0.

Why? it works and is relatively stable, there's a lot of change
between 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 which could introduce any number of
other bugs and regressions in a release that is suppose to be stable.

Peter