package reviews: new Release for every update

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 18:45:50 UTC 2012

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:23:35 +0000, Jamie Nguyen wrote:

> I've seen on a few occasions reviewers mention that they can't tell what
> has changed in the spec since the previous version, as the new packager
> has overwritten the previous spec.

If the packager does that, it makes the  rpmdev-diff  command less useful,
The src.rpm file name should be different for each new update to the spec
file.

> I've also seen reviewers ask the new packager to document changes in the
> changelog as they go along, even before release, as it's quite helpful
> for both packager and reviewer.

It's common practice to document spec changes in the %changelog. Packagers,
who don't do that during review, often don't know yet how helpful the
changelog can be when running into packaging issues later.