package reviews: new Release for every update

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:05:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-30 11:42, Mamoru TASAKA wrote:
> Ken Dreyer wrote, at 12/30/2012 01:01 AM +9:00:
>> I noticed our package review process doesn't explicitly say "After you
>> make an update to the package, bump the 'Release' number and post a
>> new link each time." This is a popular convention, but it doesn't seem
>> to be formally documented.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>>
>> Should this guidance be part of our instructions?
>>
>> - Ken
>>

> It is actually documented already:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FrequentlyMadeMistakes
>
> QUOTE:
> Increase the "Release" tag every time you upload a new package to
> avoid confusion. The reviewer and other interested parties probably
> still have older versions of your SRPM lying around to check what has
> changed between the old and new packages; those get confused when the
> revision didn't change.
>
> Regards,
> Mamoru

Hm... that page hasn't  been updated since 2010.  During that time we've
got new changelog GL describing how to handle spec file changes without
bumping the release - this seems more than appropriate in a review
process context.

BTW, also some other stuff looks a little outdated here e. g.,
ParagNemade/CommonRpmlintErrors
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ParagNemade/CommonRpmlintErrors>. and
the non-existing viewcvs link.

--alec