prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon Dec 31 15:38:47 UTC 2012

> Cool, then write a sane tool that converts them online that doesn't pull
> in Perl and whatnot,

Is 'awk' available?  'sed'?  'bash'?  (I'm not kidding.  Some systems
prefer 'dash', which lacks arrays and other hard-to-substitute features.)
How much of 'python' is allowed?  'lua'?  In other words, please specify
the desired environment, with cost (penalty) functions near the boundary.

> or find a way to convert all keymaps offline

There are "user" keymaps written in the classic console keymap system.
Thus any offline conversion mechanism must be exported.
In some cases the use may be online, so the cost curve still matters.