prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 23:01:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-30 at 17:53 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > Also,
> > it's hardly a regression in comparison to older Fedora...
>
> i18n has moved a long way since the 90's. Being stuck in the past may be
> not a regression but it's nothing to be proud of.

In addition to this, though the number of console keymaps systemd
understands may not be a regression, it is contributing to one.

All this is explained in the bug and in my earlier comment, but the
problem is that anaconda in F18 is now simply offering the user the
entire xkb list of keymaps. In F17 it offered some kind of hand-weeded
(and fairly small) list of keymaps which was presumably then carefully
supervised through later config steps: in F18, it just gives you the
entire xkb list to choose from, and then uses systemd-localed to try and
configure a corresponding console layout for whatever you pick.

As discussed in the bug, if systemd-localed is doing 'fuzzy matching' it
may be the case that we actually get a decent match for most layouts,
I'll have to do more testing. But the situation is clearly different to
the F17 one in that we are now relying on systemd-localed to map xkb
layouts to console ones, where we really weren't before. There is
certainly at least a potential for regression here. The systemd-localed
list of keymaps may not have regressed but it has taken on more
significance.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey