Fedora 17’s unified filesystem (/usr-move)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Feb 1 17:38:40 UTC 2012

On 02/01/2012 06:38 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:

>>> It isn't practical to "fix" every package that requires /bin/sh.
>>
>> It's not "just" that the impracticality either - not providing
>> /bin/sh, /sbin/ldconfig and the like would mean a huge
>> incompatibility break with nearly every existing package in the
>> wild. Not really an option.
>
> I'm not convinced of the "all" case, though. /bin/sh, /sbin/ldconfig,
> etc. could be reasonable for a package to require, and should be provided.
>
> Requires: /lib/modules/3.1.2-1.fc16/kernel/drivers/net/3c59x.ko is likely
> too dumb to live, though.

Oh, sure. Hence the "strictly speaking".

I'm not arguing for adding provides for eg /lib/modules (although I
think I've seen such dependencies in the wonderful world of kernel
module packaging ;), just pointing out that it's not 100% transparent
change for package(r)s. Made ever more fun by the rpm behavior on
installed files where you test a package on your machine, see it
installs fine and then scratch head when it fails to work as part of
initial install.

	- Panu -