Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 21:45:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Florian Müllner wrote:
>> I don't think anyone made an argument for letting apps "decide how
>> exactly the icon will look" (which is basically what XEmbed does, and
>> everyone agrees that it's crap), but rather to avoid the other extreme
>> of giving the shell complete power of what to display (and even whether
>> to display anything at all). As is, applications can only hope that the
>> shell will use enough of the data it provides to convey the information
>> as intended,
>
> Thus the shell should do that. How hard can it be?

If that is the intend of the spec then why not explicitly state it in there?
Instead of having some "unwritten rules" that app authors depend on.
To reuse your words "how hard can that be?"

>> but there are no guarantees or ways to query the shell's capabilities.
>
> Because the application should not have to worry about it.

Well because the app provides an interface to the user and it has to
somehow be able to know what the user actually sees.
Lets say your app opens a dialog and the window manager is free to
just not display it. Does that make any sense?

> So the argument that you're refusing to implement a cross-desktop protocol
> in order to ban random applications from adding themselves to the panel is
> bogus.

Nobody said that.