Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Wed Feb 1 21:49:35 UTC 2012

On mié, 2012-02-01 at 22:18 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> So the argument that you're refusing to implement a cross-desktop protocol
> in order to ban random applications from adding themselves to the panel is
> bogus.

No, the argument for refusing to implement the protocol is that the spec
is bad. I was merely pointing out that *if* we used the protocol in the
top bar, it would have been as an implementation detail with no benefit
to applications (e.g. no way for applications to provide options to
override that behavior as you imply)

> > Because the "integrated experience" means that there is a fixed set of
> > system items with a defined order.
>
> Including a bluetooth icon on a machine which does not even have bluetooth
> hardware? This is just beyond silly!

*sigh*
You are trolling.

> Notification messages and status notifier icons are totally independent
> concepts with totally different use cases and totally different practical
> uses. They are separate protocols for a reason.
>
> Notifications (also called "passive popups") are for one-off messages you
> want to show to the user to inform them of something transient. Status
> notifiers are for status icons the user wants to permanently keep an eye on,
> such as network connectivity (which in fact you do realize needs a status
> icon, or you wouldn't have hardcoded it in your shell).

Except that applications can set a 'resident' hint on notifications, in
which case a representive icon is kept in the message tray, from which
the notification can be recalled; together with the ability to provide
actions on notifications, the experience is not different from status
icons.

Florian