Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Thu Feb 2 09:58:35 UTC 2012

On mié, 2012-02-01 at 17:00 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Yay cross-desktop maybe, but still a freaking disaster from a UI point
> of view, and the only thing I really dislike about GNOME 3

I don't think it's that bad, but that might just be me having different
use patterns (for instance a common complain is that the message tray
interferes with the active area of maximized terminals/xchat windows - I
hardly ever maximize those windows, and didn't do so either in GNOME 2).
I'm sure that a solution which addresses your issues without
compromising on the design goals will be adopted in a heartbeat - feel
free to get in contact with the gnome designers to provide constructive
feedback (and no, you don't have to be "creative" to do that - that's
their job after all ;-)

Of course the implementation detail of which DBus protocol applications
use to interact with the tray (Notify or NotifierIcon) is completely
irrelevant for those UI problems - if it sucks for you now, implementing
status notifiers in the message tray would suck just as badly.

Florian