Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Thu Feb 2 09:59:51 UTC 2012

On jue, 2012-02-02 at 01:28 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Florian Müllner wrote:
> > No, but it would require that "circle" is drawn as circle and not a
> > square (or just discarded without notice). The NotifyIcon spec
> > explicitly allows either absurdity.
>
> If your icon theme thinks a square is a good way to represent the concept of
> a "circle",

I was talking about a supposed property called "circle", not a property
"themedIcon" with a value of "circle". The spec actually contains
language like this (quoting from memory, as the link to the draft on freedesktop.org
is dead):

"Tooltip: a descriptive string which the implementation will display as
a tooltip, or any other way it seems fit, or not at all"

Hint: if you don't want applications to assume a certain representation,
you don't use element names which imply a representation. So rather than
the example above, you should have used language like:

implementations are free to not use the information, so applications
MUST NOT rely on it"

But if you provide an element "OverlayIcon", it'd be better rendered as
overlayed icon and not as dancing penguins.

Regards,
Florian