Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Feb 2 21:27:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 10:04:03PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Samba is a project written specifically to interoperate with Windows,
> > because the developers involved felt that interoperability was more
> > important than the flaws in the SMB spec (to the extent that any such
> > thing existed).
>
> My point is that interoperability between the Free desktops is more
> important than the flaws in any of the specs involved! Our applications are
> all going to run on the same machines, so we should strife for an integrated
> experience rather than gratuitous incompatibilities due to differences of
> opinion on the letter of a spec.

And the people working on Gnome feel that adopting a bad specification
would cost more than enhancing this interoperability would provide. You
can't force them to feel otherwise, so your options are either to modify
the spec in such a way that everyone's happy or to just get on with the
rest of your life.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org