Does anyone still need to create legacy HFS filesystems?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 3 19:21:25 UTC 2012

On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> There is yet another variant called HFSX which is case-sensitive, but also has more feature potential than HFSJ.

Correction, according to the following URL, HFSX can be case sensitive or insensitive.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.6/en/asa76d058e.html

However, I see no way to create a case insensitive HFSX using either command line tool diskutil or the GUI Disk Utility.

diskutil listfilesystems
HFS+                            Mac OS Extended

Case-sensitive HFS+             Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
  (or) hfsx

Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+   Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
  (or) jhfsx

Journaled HFS+                  Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  (or) jhfs+

The one unique thing about HFSX appears to be the lack of the HFS Wrapper found on HFS+ and HFSJ volumes.

Chris Murphy