Does anyone still need to create legacy HFS filesystems?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Feb 4 22:36:52 UTC 2012

On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:06 PM, John Reiser wrote:

> Examining with gparted and Disk Utility, I see an Apple partition label
> that designates partitions:
>
>  HFS (not plus)       1 MB  boot
>  HFS+ journalled   25.6 GB  Machintosh HD
>  ext3              10.6 GB  Fedora root
>  swap               1.0 GB
>
> I believe that the plain HFS boot partition was created during
> Fedora install.  It's now running MacOS 10.4.11 and Fedora 12,
> which are both the latest applicable releases.

I though you meant a user accessible volume being formatted as HFS.

HFS+ and HFSX volumes must be greater than 32MB, where as HFS supports smaller sizes. As for the purpose of the 1MB HFS volume, it may be a Fedora PPC convention. I have a PowerPC machine dual booting two versions of Mac OS X, and the disk does not have an HFS volume on it. They are jhfs+.

Chris Murphy