why is gurb-menu hidden as default?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 6 16:25:08 UTC 2012

Am 06.02.2012 17:16, schrieb drago01:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> It was F10 feature: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
>>> I believe showing GRUB2 menu is a regression which will be
>>> fixed before F17 release.
>>
>> what regression?
>>
>> i speak about that GENERALLY the boot-maanger should be VISIBLE
>> in Feodra as also in RHEL and not hidden, to hide the option
>> boot with the previous kernel for everybody since years
>
> No unless you dual boot another OS the bootloader should not be
> visible as the user does not have to care about it.
> Other OSs also don't do that for a reason.

and why are there so many noobs with questions like "after a kernel
update my machine does no longer boot" if this decision would
be smart?

it si idiotic having a fallback after kernel updates and hide it
from the users - what do you think how many do not know this, have
no other computer to post any question because no longer inernet
access resulting in delete the whole linux-os and how many of them
never install it again after "killed with standard update"