why is gurb-menu hidden as default?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Feb 6 16:37:04 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote:
> it was refreshed for me with the question below
> without such idiotic changes this sort of problems
> would simply not exist and people would learn to
> use their OS instead obfuscate all options from
> the users like windows
>
> what does this user if he has no other computer
> for his question?

Instead of forcing down your opinion down everyone's throats, there are
nicer alternatives that need attention instead. How about you create a
patch set (instead of threatening emails) that adds the ability to
detect a bad boot and have grub prompt the user for an action the next
time the system boots?

Examples:
"Boot into older kernel?", "Boot with safe graphics mode?", etc.

Then grub can remain hidden by default to provide a nice end-user
experience and if booting fails a, less technically inclined, user gets
shown some alternative boot methods.