why is gurb-menu hidden as default?

Jarosław Górny jaroslav at aster.pl
Mon Feb 6 17:02:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2012-02-06, o godz. 17:55, przez Reindl
Harald:
>> in your arguments if you have any.
>
> why do you not read the arguments?
>
> * a new user does not know anything about the menu
> * a new user fall into a boot problem after update

If we are considering such a newbie user as you describe, I bet this
user does not know if system update installed a new kernel or not.
(S)he probably does not know what the kernel is.
So, why do you assume, such a user, having grub menu *not* hidden,
will guess, that in case of boot problem (s)he should try to boot
another kernel?

Another thing is:
I like breaking things. A lot. But since a *long*  time (read: couple
of years) I didn't have kernel crash after reboot on *stock* kernel
provided by *stable* Fedora release. And with CentOS, this statement
is even more true, due to the nature of this distribution.
Only problems I had, were with custom made kernels.

So, really, I don't see any problem here. And based on comments of
other users, I'm not alone here.

regards,

--
Jarosław Górny