[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 11:56:46 UTC 2012

Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> I see your point and I agree that it does make sense from this
> perspective. Still, I'd like to know what is behind this decision -
> why do we want to forbid this behaviour? Have any Fedora users run
> into problems with any software installing under /opt? Please give
> me some rationale behind this. I still think we may find situations
> appropriate for using /opt and we shouldn't just say "don't do
> that", but rather "be careful when doing that".

I'm curious what situations that might be. Why would I want to package
anything in Fedora under /opt? What advantage is there compared to
using /usr like everything else in the distribution?
Why would you not want to enforce this kind of consistency in Fedora
regardless of what funny stuff the FHS allows?

Michal