[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:44:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:13:16AM -0500, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> There are basically two main reasons: stacks contain platform specific files (so not good under share)

This means they could go under %{_libdir}/dsc/%{DSCNAME}

> and also, they should be separated from the core system, so it's probably
> best to place them under /opt.

The dividing line that Fedora nad most other distributions take these days
is whether the OS vendor is providing it as part of the OS.  If you are
saying that Fedora itself is not going to be packaging these dsc's then you
could use /opt.  However, if you want this to be something that Fedora
packages, /opt is going to be the wrong directory.  (The whole concept may
not be suitable for Fedora but I'm hoping not to have to decide that
until/unless I see a complete proposal :-)

-Toshio