This is not the power switch you are looking for

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 20:14:55 UTC 2012

Fallout from usrmove, perhaps?  I tried to shutdown a VM running Rawhide:

Clicked on the power button symbol in the upper right hand corner of
the GDM desktop and chose "Power Off".  Nothing.  Clicked it again,
just in case.  Nothing.

Okay, so Ctrl-Alt-F3, login as root, and then this:

[root at jerry-rawhide32 ~]# shutdown -P now
Unknown operation now
[root at jerry-rawhide32 ~]# man shutdown

Nope, I had the syntax right.  Well, there's a poweroff command,
right?  Haven't used it for awhile...

[root at jerry-rawhide32 ~]# man poweroff
man: can't open /usr/share/man/halt.8: No such file or directory
[root at jerry-rawhide32 ~]# man halt

Okay, that worked.  I don't need to pass any arguments, just plain
poweroff.  Cool.

[root at jerry-rawhide32 ~]# poweroff
UNIT                      LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       JOB DESCRIPTION
proc-sys...misc.automount loaded active waiting     Arbitrary Executable File

... followed by several more pages of systemd output piped to less.

Okay, I give up.  How am I supposed to turn this thing off?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/