/usrmove?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 8 14:19:36 UTC 2012

Am 08.02.2012 15:11, schrieb Chris Adams:
>>> criteria! This affects both the DVD upgrades and preupgrade, which
>>> are the 2 upgrade methods Fedora claims to support.
>>
>> I did not see a release yet, where did you find it?
>
> He said "release criteria".  Included in that is the Feature Freeze
> (which was yesterday for F17), which includes:
>
>   Once the Feature Freeze milestone is reached, all new features for the
>   release should be:
>   - substantially complete and in a testable state
>
> If the anaconda support for UsrMove is not merged (and maybe not even
> written?), then why was an untestable and incomplete feature merged?

because Fedora decided in the last releases to propose features and
include them with the HOPE they MAY BE finished until release, hope
is really not enough for a solid development, it could be if releases
would happen in they way "it will be released if it is fnished" but
NOT "it may be good enough and the release date is near"

this is no "straight-forward"

this is simply the best way to destroy the distribution if this
happens the same way with the next releases because over the long
the userbase get lost and contributors will also get lost if
pemanently decisions are enforced which means a hughe work for
all maintainers proposed by a handful of people

Fedora 11-14 was a rock solid distribution and is slightly
going down more and more because hughe changes happens only
for the "we changed" instead of slow a little bit down and
make existing features/packages/infrastructure rock solid

i will not understand any developer who thinks he must
permanently implement new things and make hughe changes
affecting all users and contributors because fixing bugs
and optimize existing features is not funny enough!