/usrmove?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 21:44:43 UTC 2012

> On 02/09/2012 02:30 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>  As far
> > as things-that-are-actually-QA are concerned: we mostly go by the
> > release validation process, and per the criteria, upgrades have to work
> > by Beta, not Alpha. '
>
> Any particular reason for this?  I think it makes sense to ensure
> upgrades work in an alpha release as well.

We don't necessarily think so. I mean, Alpha is *alpha*. We don't want
to set the bar too high. It's mainly meant to boot and run and let you
test the features that have been implemented. If you look at the point
of an Alpha, there isn't a whole lot of point in supporting upgrades to
it. You're not meant to be running Alpha on a machine you actually
*care* about (although I know some of us do, I'm typing this on one :>).
You're meant to be installing Alpha on a disposable throwaway
machine/partition/VM and testing specific things on it. Given that,
upgrade isn't a particularly important thing to have working, because
there's no reason to preserve a previous configuration (which after all
is what an upgrade does).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey