PCRE 8.30 will break API

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 17:46:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-09, Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Result is pcre library has changed SONAME from libpcre.so.0 to
>> libpcre.so.1. Other librararies (pcrecpp, pcreposix) delivered with this
>> package remain compatible.
>>
>> Because pcre library is part of minimal build root I choosed following
>> strategy to avoid breaking Koji:
>
> When do you anticipate that this will hit?

Now :) pcre-8.30-1.fc18 is the first build bringing both libraries.

I did thorough tests in virtual machine and the system boots even with
new pcre. Just to make all parties easy, this build targets F18 only.
There is no plan to put it into F17. Actully I postponed the 8.30 build
until branching F17.

I will start rebuilding listed packages on Friday.

-- Petr