/usrmove?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 12:01:06 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 12:55, schrieb Matthias Runge:
> On 10/02/12 12:45, Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> I hope that this is just sarcasm. Many of the reasons were refuted to
>> not be real. Of course there are still some positive reasons remaining
>> but they are very weak in comparison to the break of expectations of
>> existing users and developers of 3rd party software. So if you mainly
>> ignore the existing expectations you might come to a conclusion that
>> this feature is a net gain however this is by no means certain thing and
>> undisputable.
>
> I think, there are good reasons to move. Doing it, mainly because of
> others do, is not such a good reason for me

what missed here is the main point:

there is no single bleding wound to do it NOW under pressure
nobody would have been died if F17 would have bean left in peace
and the "feature" would been introduced in F18 or even F19 because
it brings no single benefit NOW

especially the /usrmove could have been started by changing
the locations in single packages to get /usr and /sbin empty
step by step instead forcing a big change with pressure and
a lot of problems

making a change for the sake of the change is not wise