/usrmove? -> about the future

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 12:13:13 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 12:59, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 10.02.2012 10:06, schrieb "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson":
>>> The state of overall migration to systemd is depended on each package maintainer(s)
>>> and at current rate that wont be finished until F20+.
>> so fedora has STOPPED to be a distribution
>> it is a bundle of packages which hopefully work together and nobody
>> feels repsonsible for anything, things may happen or not or somewhere
>> in a undefined fuuture
>> the definition of a distribution is that all packages are comonig
>> from one central source (repos) and are optimized to work together
>> and not "everybody does like he feel and if things are not badly
>> enough broken they will not be touched"
> I quite agree this is (becoming?) a problem - but can you suggest a
> workable solution?

calm down new features because you see now what happended

> What can FESCo practically do when tens of packagers simply ignore the
> bugs filed against their components?

learn from what has happened?

> More importantly, what can FESCo practically do when a component has
> an abrt bug open for 5 months, roughly 1 new reporter per day is
> added, and the package owner has not done a single action in bugzilla?

has anybody spent a thought that the reason maybe
that more and more maintainers are getting frustrated
about the way big changes brought up by some people
are introduced forcing all maintainers to act and
that the number of such changes in a short timeframe
is the reason?

> If the answer is "kick the package out of the distribution", I'm sad
> to say the distribution would have some glaring holes.
> We really need to find a good solution for these cases, or Fedora
> will, as you say, stop being a distribution.

a good solution would be NOT introduce in each release BIG changes

NOT frustrade maintainers which a lot of work until they do
no longer see the horizon because at the moment they have
finished one change the next is brought up under pressure

more and more of them will giving up or start workaround somehow
about the probblems but not having the energy do this clean because
they all have a real life, have to maintain F-1, F-N, F-N+1

the release schedule of fedora is no longer working good with this
pressure at each release and will sooner or later stop completly
if people do not change the way fedora as distribution acts


each second release does not introduzce those big changes and
only optimize existing things and bringing only new versions
of packages require a "simple" mass rebuild for so-changes

you can call it F17, F17.5 where F17 have a big chnage affecting
the whole distribution and F17.5 is "only" a careful upgrade
without intention to break stuff and require actions from
all involved people

take away the current pressure from maintainers as well users
give the involved people time to breath
this is opensource, there is NO SINGLE NEED to implement any
possible good idea under pressure NOW and beeing first only
for beeing first is not always the right hting

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 262 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20120210/c5939ee8/attachment.sig>

More information about the devel mailing list