/usrmove? -> about the future

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 17:05:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:13 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > I quite agree this is (becoming?) a problem - but can you suggest a
> > workable solution?
>
> calm down new features because you see now what happended

On a point of fact: what _is_ it that you are suggesting happened
exactly?

Everyone on this list is well aware of the fact that you consider
systemd a terrible failure because not every package in Fedora yet has
systemd-native init scripts, but by the same token, it is clear that
almost no-one agrees with you. On a solid practical level, I am not
aware that systemd is currently the source of any major problems in
Fedora 15, 16 or 17. I have not seen systemd identified as a major
problem by any independent review of Fedora. I have not seen it brought
it up as a major issue in any kind of release readiness or validation
context. So your use of systemd as an example of the feature process
being a terrible idea seems like a weak choice.

The only other actual real-world feature that has been cited in the
present discussion is /usr move. Aside from the FESCo discussion about
whether they could have handled its feature approval better, on a solid
practical level, the feature landed in Rawhide and so far as I know has
caused no major problems for anyone who's migrated to it: I have seen
none such reported. It has not prevented us from building composes, nor
has it stopped those composes working. The code to handle /usr move in
anaconda actually landed a couple of days ago, and should be included in
Alpha TC2, which was released yesterday.

Personally, I quite simply don't agree with the entire foundation of
your argumentation in this thread. You suggest that the rapid pace of
feature development in general is causing terrible problems for the
distro, and cite systemd and /usr move as examples; I simply don't see
that your examples back up your contention.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey