/usrmove? -> about the future

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 17:48:05 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 18:32, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 18:21 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 10.02.2012 18:05, schrieb Adam Williamson:
>>> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:13 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> Everyone on this list is well aware of the fact that you consider
>>> systemd a terrible failure because not every package in Fedora yet has
>>> systemd-native init scripts, but by the same token, it is clear that
>>> almost no-one agrees with you. On a solid practical level, I am not
>>> aware that systemd is currently the source of any major problems in
>>> Fedora 15, 16 or 17.
>>
>> F15 was horrible broken
>> mysqld in F15 was horrible broken
>
> My servers ran F15 for six months. Never had a problem with mysql. As I
> recall, your issues with mysql were to do with a specific fairly
> advanced use case, hardly general-purpose stuff.

and this is what blindly butchers not realize:

there are well maintained servers not running only plain
default configs

>> F15 was the first Linux i saw where "reboot" did not
>> work until you typed "kill 1" while praying!
>
> I ran F15 on four machines for months, didn't have that problem. If lots
> of people had, I would have expected to hear a lot more noise.

dmaned you make the dist-upgrade once and not over years

>> if no one agress that is unacceptable that init-system
>> is changed in F15 and F17 still contains not converted
>> services then no one knows how quality looks like
>
> I don't agree, no. systemd was explicitly written to be 100%
> sysv-compatible

BUT IT IS NOT AND IT WAS NEVER AND IT WILL NEVER

why are VMware-Workstation machines are killed hardly as
they was clean suspended until systemd came into my life?

yes, it is not a fedora package but that does not matter
and prove your argument is wrong - if it would be 100%
comatible it would not act like a blind butcher at shutdown

even this service does not help as long as it is not stopped
manually before type reboot/shutdown, so please leave me in
peace with theory where the real life is painful

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/vmware-default.service
[Unit]
Description=VMware-Default-Machines
After=vmware.service
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/su -c "/scripts/vmware/vm-default-start.sh" vmware
ExecStop=/scripts/vmware/vm-suspend-all.sh
RemainAfterExit=yes
TimeoutSec=600
SysVStartPriority=90
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

if it would be 100% compatible all my mysqld problems of
services are crashing because they was fired up long before
mysqld was ready for connections would never have existed