/usrmove? -> about the future

Jon Ciesla limburgher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 18:02:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 10.02.2012 18:49, schrieb Jon Ciesla:
>>>
>>> Shrug, I don't make it a point to do yum based upgrades across release
>>> boundaries so that would explain why i didn't encounter it.
>>>
>>> Did anyone doing and testing the "not supported" upgrade dance to F15
>>> bother filing it at any point?  Obviously people use it regardless of
>>> what the support policy is. I would imagine one of them would file it
>>> as a market for other people who aren't going to follow policy.
>>
>> I've been yum upgrading since FC1.  I didn't see that.  I was also
>> running a mysql server.
>
> BOAh mysqld has NOTHING to do with the yum upgrade
> mysqld in F15 worked only on baby-systems where nothing
> other relies on mysqld but not on machines having tons
> of services rely in a init-process who fires them up
> after mysqld id reday for connections

Excuse me?  Baby systems?  Do you know what my systems were running?
Which services I had?  My configurations?

I apologize if my experience was in some way different from yours.
But I had quite a bit running on the systems in question.  My process
was essentially:

update fedora-release*
yum update -y
yum clean all
reboot
systemctl start <foo>.service and systemctl enable <foo>.service for
each service I needed to start my default.  Which I had recorded for
each machine.
Profit!

I'm truly sorry this didn't work for you, but there's no sense
attacking me because it did for me.

-J

> how often havce i to repeat this here?
>

> --