/usrmove? -> about the future

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 18:05:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 18:54 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.02.2012 18:49, schrieb Jef Spaleta:
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> >> no i can not because it is a one-shot thing to do "yum distro-sync" and so i
> >> had no time for a bugrport while other more important things like mysqld were
> >> horrible broken
> >
> > Let me strongly suggest, that unfiled problems will never get fixed
> > because you cannot assume your workflow is part of anyone elses
> > prerelease testing.
> > Let me further stridently suggest that if you or any user insist on
> > using an upgrade path which is stated as a matter of policy as
> > unsupported
>
> so this policy has to be adopted to the real life damned
>
> you can i imagine you upgrade a virtual production server with
> Preupgrade/Anaconda? this is only a bad joke while if Fedora
> put more care in yum-upgrade and supports it this does well
> while services are up

You're not supposed to be running Fedora on production servers. That is
not what it's for.

I do this too, but when something in Fedora makes it a bit inconvenient,
I don't whine and throw all my toys from the perambulator, because I
know I'm using Fedora for something it's not entirely intended for, and
so I accept the pain and deal with it. It's like using a Lamborghini as
your daily runabout: you can do it, but you probably shouldn't whine
about how LAMBORGHINIS SUCK if you chip the undercarriage on a speed
bump.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey