/usrmove? -> about the future

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 10 18:18:07 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
> i have rpeorted A TON of bugs where services was not converted to systemd
> many of them are also not converted until now

Are you doing this because there is a functionality problem?  Systemd is
explicitly (mostly) backwards compatible with SysV-style init scripts,
because they are going to exist for a long time to come (at least in
third-party and vendor packages).  IIRC, systemd was introduced without
any mandate to switch 100% of the init scripts.

In the vast majority of cases, there is no functional difference between
a SysV init script and a systemd unit file, so changing for the sake of
change (when there is no other package maintenance required) is busy
work and unnecessary churn.

> and you think my tone is the problem?

Well, yes.  Filing bugs when there's no actual bug, and being rude about
it, tends to not motivate maintainers to make changes.

I didn't change my one package with a SysV init script because (a) I
didn't see any gain from it and (b) I knew I planned to retire it for
F17 anyway (as it is no longer needed).  Someone else came along and did
it anyway, but that was their choice of how to spend their time.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>