/usrmove? -> about the future

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 18:56:28 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 19:51, schrieb Matthew Garrett:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 06:59:22PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 10.02.2012 18:52, schrieb Jef Spaleta:
>>> Maybe you should file a bug report noting that yum upgrade worked for
>>> you.  I personally think that is a bug. unsupported workflows should
>>> be broken for all users
>>
>> idiotic statement
>>
>> yum-upgrade should be supported because it works normally
>> much smoother than a horrible Anaconda/Preupgrade if someone
>> did not a mistake
>
> argument. Yes, it'd be lovely if yum distro-sync could be guaranteed to
> work. But it can't, and it won't, and if you insist on using it anyway
> then you don't get to complain about it being broken unless you're
> personally stepping up to fix it.

and Preupgrade is guaranteed to work?
laughable!

it has the same problems as yum depending on the
exactly setup with the hughe difference if it bricks
your system you can not do anything expect boot
with rescue medium

after a yum upgrade you can cleanup bott-config, verify
anything on your system and correct problems before reboot

i never saw any preupgrade/anaconda update being painless
never, on no single machine and mostly it refsued to
boot at all after the upgrade why i never had a yum-upgrade
with this problem all the years

that is the difference between theory and real life!