/usrmove? -> about the future

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 19:08:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 11:02 -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 10:57 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >>>
> >> Sez who?
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Server
> > Sez the board:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base_-_general_productivity_user
> >

> These are _minimums_.
>
> I'm not saying that anyone should be bending over backwards to support
> using Fedora on servers, but "it's not for servers" doesn't hold water
> with many in the community.

Let me put it this way, then: Fedora is released on a six month cycle,
which is far faster than is usually considered desirable for server
usage. It has a 13 month lifetime, which is far shorter than is usually
considered desirable for server usage. Its key values and goals are
assuredly not compatible with typical server usage - e.g. "First - We
believe in the power of innovation and showing off new work in our
releases. Since we release twice a year, you never have to wait long to
see the latest and greatest software, while there are other Linux
products derived from Fedora you can use for long-term stability. We
always keep Fedora moving forward so that you can see the future first."
There are numerous practical policies derived from these values which
are clearly not optimal for server usage, such as the short freeze
times, relatively low barrier of entry to disruptive features, and QA
focus on installation and basic desktop use (we do virtually no QA on
any kind of server usage). Finally, there are *several* Linux
distributions available which have none of the above 'shortcomings' (so
far as server usage is concerned).

Given all that, it seems only logical to conclude that Fedora really
_isn't_ primarily intended for use as a production server.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey