/usrmove? -> about the future

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 19:47:50 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 20:05, schrieb Matthew Garrett:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 07:56:28PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> and Preupgrade is guaranteed to work?
>> laughable!
>
> Not guaranteed, but it works within a massively more constrained
> environment and so certain fundamental issues don't apply. yum
> distro-sync requires that all currently running applications are able to
> deal with their files being replaced. Preupgrade doesn't. That's a
> pretty obvious distinction, and it's why preupgrade is supportable in a
> way that yum isn't.

and why is this so?
because the feature is introduced ina a hurry brainedead way!

around 350 files

well F17 -> change packages to replace them one by one
with symlinks which could be targeted without stress
even after F17 GA package for package

so F17->F18 could verify this are only symlinks
and remove them or cancel the action with a message
that this has to be cleaned up

but yes, if we make always hurry decisions without thinking
what they may inroduce finally then will always mistakes
happen - hopefully the people acting so does this not
in a payed job and nobody fires them!