serious conflicts between python pks installed via yum vs pip

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:53:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 01:52:08PM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> b) distutils v. setuptools conflict is just an unfortunate testimony
> of immature bad state of the Python upstream packaging, but it seems
> to me that generally Python world is moving towards setuptools.
> Shouldn't we follow the suite and move towards setuptools as well?

Upstream (python core) is doing everything within its power to move away
from setuptools, actually.  The problem with setuptools is that the upstream
author is a pain to work with and the upstream code is poorly written.

The problem with moving away from setuptools is that setuptools puts several
different types of things together (metadata, plugins, package building and
installing, selection and loading between different versions of a library,
installation of pre-packaged modules)... and there's only clear replacements
for some of those.

Python-3.3 offers the packaging module in the stdlib to replace the metadata
and package building/installing portion.  There's a backport of that for
python2 and earlier python3 which is the distutils2 module.  I looked at it
but the last release doesn't work with multilib.  I haven't had time to look
at a snapshot yet (people installing on MacOSX report that the latest
release doesn't work for them but the latest snapshot does... so a snapshot
may be the way to go anyhow.)

-Toshio