Linux Questions Desktop Environment of the Year - interesting result

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun Feb 12 16:35:17 UTC 2012

On 02/12/2012 06:19 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2011-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-95/desktop-environment-of-the-year-919888/
>
> Shows an interesting result in terms of DE popularity - though given
> the many discussions not only on Fedora lists but on other lists for
> other distros also I am not really that surprised to see which are the
> top few in the poll.

  Interesting poll - of course some will jump on it as a non-scientific
and why it's inadequate because it either is too broad an audience or
too narrow .. :-) Or perhaps with only 600+ participants the std error
may be too high (what is it anyway if one makes reasonable
distributional assumptions for the poll takers .. stats quiz :-) ) ..

   however it jives exactly with my own experience where everyone I know
dropped gnome shell and moved to either KDE or xfce (not without
grumbling) .. of course my experience is def too small a sample size :-)

  While it may make sense to make KDE the default DE for fedora - I
suspect that this cannot happen in fedora due to pressures from the
large number of gnome devs associated with Fedora - or could it? Should it?

  I wonder if moving Gnome shell as a tablet spin and making KDE the
default laptop/desktop DE would have been a really smart move. Is it too
late? Perhaps we all really want a phone DE on our 42 inch desktops with
a touch screen that somehow doesn't cause muscle strain ...