Linux Questions Desktop Environment of the Year - interesting result

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Feb 12 17:15:15 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:35:17AM -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:

>   Interesting poll - of course some will jump on it as a non-scientific
> and why it's inadequate because it either is too broad an audience or
> too narrow .. :-) Or perhaps with only 600+ participants the std error
> may be too high (what is it anyway if one makes reasonable
> distributional assumptions for the poll takers .. stats quiz :-) ) ..

Right, this poll is most probably in no way representative for the
majority of the Fedora end-users.

>    however it jives exactly with my own experience where everyone I know
> dropped gnome shell and moved to either KDE or xfce (not without
> grumbling) .. of course my experience is def too small a sample size :-)

I have the same experience (and I moved to Xfce myself too), but most
people I know are long-term UNIX/Linux developers.

>   While it may make sense to make KDE the default DE for fedora - I
> suspect that this cannot happen in fedora due to pressures from the
> large number of gnome devs associated with Fedora - or could it? Should it?
>
>   I wonder if moving Gnome shell as a tablet spin and making KDE the
> default laptop/desktop DE would have been a really smart move. Is it too
> late? Perhaps we all really want a phone DE on our 42 inch desktops with
> a touch screen that somehow doesn't cause muscle strain ...

KDE is pretty nice these days, but IMHO way too complex to use/configure
for the average end-user.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>