Linux Questions Desktop Environment of the Year - interesting result

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 13 00:12:12 UTC 2012

Genes MailLists wrote:
>   While it may make sense to make KDE the default DE for fedora - I
> suspect that this cannot happen in fedora due to pressures from the
> large number of gnome devs associated with Fedora - or could it? Should
> it?

IMHO, not only should the KDE spin become the default, but the Xfce spin
should replace the GNOME spin (which of course needs to stop calling itself
the "Desktop spin") on the mirrors. GNOME is no longer a major desktop! Xfce
is now the second most popular desktop after KDE Plasma Desktop.

>   I wonder if moving Gnome shell as a tablet spin and making KDE the
> default laptop/desktop DE would have been a really smart move. Is it too
> late? Perhaps we all really want a phone DE on our 42 inch desktops with
> a touch screen that somehow doesn't cause muscle strain ...

For a tablet spin, Plasma Active makes a lot more sense than gnome-shell:
http://plasma-active.org/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PlasmaActive

Plasma Active is actually designed for tablets, whereas the gnome-shell
developers denied on more than one occasion that tablets were their intended
target, even though its bizarre design happens to work out better for
tablets than for normal computers.

        Kevin Kofler