[Fedora-legal-list] CGAL license change to (L)GPLv3+

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 16:30:06 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 09:42 AM, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 15:29 +0100, Laurent Rineau wrote:
>> Le mardi 07 février 2012 14:21:53 Laurent Rineau a écrit :
>>> From release 4.0, the CGAL libraries will be released under LGPLv3+ for the
>>> foundations, and GPLv3+ for the high level packages (instead of LGPLv2 and
>>> QPL respectively).
>>
>> In the CGAL.spec file, I mentionned "License: LGPLv3+ and GPLv3+". Could not I
>> simplify that into: "License: GPLv3+"?
>
> You should probably ask this question on the fedora-legal mailing list
> (on Cc).

Without looking at the code, the answer is "maybe".

If the libraries are composed of a combination of LGPLv3+ and GPLv3+
sources, then it would be accurate to simplify to "License: GPLv3+".

If the package contains some libraries under LGPLv3+, and some binaries
which are under GPLv3+, then "License: LGPLv3+ and GPLv3+" is appropriate.

Hope that helps,

~tom

==
Fedora Project