PCRE 8.30 will break API

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 16:58:35 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-09, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:

> Result is pcre library has changed SONAME from libpcre.so.0 to
> libpcre.so.1. Other librararies (pcrecpp, pcreposix) delivered with this
> package remain compatible.
>
> Because pcre library is part of minimal build root I choosed following
> strategy to avoid breaking Koji:
>
> (1) pcre-8.30-1 will include both new libpcre.so.1 and old libpcre.so.0.
>     (This is done by copying old files from build root while building
>     this new package).

This has been successfully done.

> (2) Reverse dependencies will be rebuilt against this new library.
>     x86_64 repository returns 109 packages:

I attempted to rebuild 104 packages, 22 packages have failed. Some
packages rebuilt other maintainers before me, or fixed them and rebuilt
after me.

Currently there is 17 packages linked against the old PCRE:

cegui
dansguardian
gambas2
gnaughty
kismet
matahari
medusa
mod_security
monotone
openscada
ovaldi
php
privoxy
regexxer
syncevolution
wmweather+

Most of them have been already failing before PCRE upgrade. I will
investigate the failures in the future.

I created PCRE 8.30 feature page for F18
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/pcre8.30> where you can track
the progress. There is a link with an example how to port an application
from removed pcre_info(3) to pcre_fullinfo() too.

-- Petr