Linux Questions Desktop Environment of the Year - interesting result

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 13 18:21:36 UTC 2012

Matej Cepl wrote:
> Kevin?
>
> I am usually close to being on your side in most flamewars here, but
> changing the release policy based on the vote of 627 people on a random
> website? Really?

It's not just that website. Survey the Fedora blogs a bit to see how many
people switched away from GNOME 3. That poll is the first time I see this
trend quantified in numbers, but it matches my expectations fairly well.

And I have been arguing for defaulting to KDE Plasma Desktop rather than
GNOME 3 for a while, see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_Plasma_Desktop_by_default
(which unfortunately got summarily rejected by FESCo on the grounds that it
had only my name on it rather than the KDE SIG as a whole), so it shouldn't
come as a surprise that I still support that notion. And yes, I think Xfce
is also a better desktop than GNOME 3, plus we should base our primary spins
on what workspace environments are actually most popular rather than on
history. GNOME Shell would make a great spins.fedoraproject.org spin, that
kind of unconventional UIs is exactly what spins.fedoraproject.org is for
(see also the Sugar spin).

        Kevin Kofler