Linux Questions Desktop Environment of the Year - interesting result

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:25:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> I'm going to reply to both in one go here:
>

> drago01 wrote:
>
>>> Why must a desktop resemble the windows 95 UI paradigm?
>
> Because that is what all current computer users are used to! And an
> "inconvenient" fact often ignored in usability studies is that the vast
> majority of your users will NOT be new to computers, but current computer
> users. It's a common pitfall (especially in the GNOME world) to
> underestimate the power of habit.

There was a time where users where used to have no display at all.
There was a time where users where used to have no GUI at all.

Just staying with the old UI due to habit means stagnation.
And just look at what other vendors are doing (Windows 8, OS X Lion,
Ubuntu, ...) ... the world is moving on we either should move on too
or otherwise we will start to play catch up games.

>>> You call that unconventional I call that progress.
>
> Change is not always for the better. This is not useful progress, but a
> useless change which breaks the habits of millions of existing users, just
> for the sake of being different. Your use of the word "progress" implies
> that there is some improvement in the change, but here I only see something
> different, not something better.

Well for me it *is* better not just different. I feel like I am thrown
years back in the past when working with a win95 style UI.