/usrmove and path ordering

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Feb 15 13:25:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> You are wrong. The /usr move has a very clear impact in being able to
> snapshot your OS install partition. Add btrfs, yum hooks and the
> already-implemented "stateless" configuration and you have a really major
> feature: a fully upgrade/test/rollback setup for Fedora.

I haven't seen this work and I don't think such snaphots can be relied
upon: /boot, /etc and /var are affected by installs as well
(especially in the cases where you would want to roll back); I don't
think anybody wants exactly the separation provided by the crude /usr
vs. rest that is provided by the /usr move.

And snapshots that can not be relied upon may be even worse than no
snapshots if they motivate users to skip creating proper backups.
    Mirek