/usrmove and path ordering

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 15 13:30:52 UTC 2012

Am 15.02.2012 14:25, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You are wrong. The /usr move has a very clear impact in being able to
>> snapshot your OS install partition. Add btrfs, yum hooks and the
>> already-implemented "stateless" configuration and you have a really major
>> feature: a fully upgrade/test/rollback setup for Fedora.
>
> I haven't seen this work and I don't think such snaphots can be relied
> upon: /boot, /etc and /var are affected by installs as well
> (especially in the cases where you would want to roll back); I don't
> think anybody wants exactly the separation provided by the crude /usr
> vs. rest that is provided by the /usr move.

this is a additional reason why the /usrmove is completly
useless because it suggests users they are save using any
FS-snapshot

have many fun after a big upgrade to revert the snapshot
if you really have /usr on a seperated FS and your
/etc and /var/lib/rpm will stay in the state after the
upgrade and your FS is bombed back

so for users having a default setup there is no difference
because / as /etc and /usr is the same FS and for ones
have seperated /usr it does not bring any benefit in real life

with other words: the whole work which is done here is useless
and low brained with constrcuted arguments not working in
the real life and they were only coonstructed to push this
feature because some developers are bored and fear this
maybe happen also to users if they do not change permanently
things which are working fine

yes i know, now i get a reply about "politness" -> but face the truth!