F17 bootloader error

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 15 18:21:47 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:41 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:

> When trying to do test install against F17Alpha TC2, during partition
> layout, I get error below...
>
> "you have not created a bootloader stage1 target device"
>
> I have F16 installed on here, and even reformatted the disks to GPT
> before I installed F16.  So using same partitions as installed like I
> always do should just work.  So hoping this a install issue and not a
> "me" issue LOL.

It looks like you did a custom partitioning, and did not create a BIOS GRUB partition, which is what the error is complaining about. That partition is used for GPT disks to store GRUB2's core.img rather than stuffing it in unclaimed space.

A bug should be filed against this error message IMO, because there is no "stage1" for GRUB2. And "target device" is about as redonkulous of a term as I've heard in 4 hours - what it's looking for is a partition, let's call it that.

> Error...
>
> http://miketc.net/bootloader.jpg
>
> Partition Layout...
>
> http://miketc.net/partitions.jpg

For future reference, I'd resize these JPEGs, they don't need to be this huge, and post them somewhere where they download faster. This was crawling painfully.

Chris Murphy