service iptables save, systemctl, and unhelpful error messages

Emanuel Rietveld codehotter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 02:22:05 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 02:06 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 11:09 PM, Emanuel Rietveld wrote:
>>>

>> I propose the following script in /etc/init.d/iptables
>
> I propose you file a BUG against IPTABLES and put your proposal into
> that bug report then wait and  see what Thomas has to say.
>
> JBG

I did so. Thomas pointed out that complying with my request would be
against the packaging guidelines and suggested this needs to be
discussed at best on Fedora-devel.

The addition of 'at best' in there leads me to believe that he is not
especially interested in my proposal, but may be willing to add the
wrapper script if I get wider support for it and/or get the packaging
guidelines changed.

Presumably, getting the packaging guidelines changed involves a lot of
people's attention - people who are generally already very busy, and do
not really want to spend precious brain cycles and time on what is
ultimately a minor improvement visible to only a small number of people.

Oh well, at least I tried. Thanks

Emanuel