/usrmove? -> about the future

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 03:34:31 UTC 2012

On 15 February 2012 17:23, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 05:19 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 18:10 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> Am 15.02.2012 17:59, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
>
> On 02/15/2012 05:06 PM, Steve Clark wrote:
>
> On 02/15/2012 05:49 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> It might be a shocking revelation to you but not everybody uses or
> relies their world on bash autocompletion.
>
>     - Panu -
>
> What world are you living in?
>
> bash-completion is not a default package.  Obviously only a small
> percentage of users are going to use it.  This isn't something you need
> to debate about.  If it was used by the majority, it would be there by
> default already.
>
> it is used by all professional users using mostly a terminal
>
> yeah...I'm getting paid for this, so I guess I'm a professional user,
> and I use terminals an awful lot, but I don't use bash-completion. Every
> time I ever tried it I found, like Rahul, that it makes things slow and
> tends to get in my way more than it ever does help me.
>
> I use bash completion all the time every single day - I guess I have
> become a corner case!
>
> No you haven't. All the developers I have worked with since the early
> nineties use it all the
> time every day. We would be lost without it.

Before getting too far down this rabbit hole... realize there are two
bash-completions

1) The built in one. I type ls ch<tab> and bash goes to look at things
and either completes or gives me a list of possible completions.

2) The bash-completions add-on. Which does all kinds of wonderful
things which when they work is really nice.. it will autocomplete
hostnames if you type ssh f<tab>, it will autocomplete depending on
the command you typed the most obvious items... etc etc. It also can
really really slow you down at times or cause issues with just normal
bash completion. A bad autocomplete can cause you to sit 3-4 minutes
as DNS or other things time out.

The people talking in this conversation are talking about 2. The type
you are talking about is 1. Completely different.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd